Mold Spores Bites

Mold (or mould) is a term used to describe fungi that grow in the form of multicellular thread-like structures known as hyphae. A fungus that exists as a single cell is known as yeast. Some mold and yeast play an important role in the biodegradation or production of certain beverages, foods, medicines, and enzymes while others cause diseases and other complications. Learn more about mold spores bites below.

Understanding mold

Mold exists in damp surfaces where it appears in a variety of colors. The source of moisture could be air humidifiers, cooking, washing, or leaks from the home or office’s plumbing system. Poor ventilation is the primary contributor to higher humidity which in return leads to condensation that promotes mold growth. A musty smell is a sign of microbial growth even if you cannot see it with an unaided eye. If left to grow in homes or offices, mold can greatly contribute to poor air quality. Some molds like Serpula lacrymans and Dry Rot Fungus are highly destructive.

Mold spore bites and its causes

The growth of mold on the skin can be caused by a variety of things. Depending on the cause of the mold bite, the treatment varies accordingly. Here are three main causes of mold spore bites:

  • Excess moisture from humidity or poor drying processes
  • High yeast levels in the diet
  • Skin reactions to an infection or from an external source

The impact of mold spore bites on your health

Mold spores can affect your health in a number of ways. Here are some of them:

1. Mold in your lungs

Aspergillosis is an allergic reaction caused by various molds. It is caused by a fungus known as Aspergillosis fumigatosis. The reaction occurs when the fungus is inhaled. People with a strong immune system are less likely to get this, but people who have lung infections or have a weak immune system are likely to be affected. Symptoms of aspergillosis include coughing, chest pain, wheezing, breathing difficulty, throat irritation, and fever.

2. Damp and mold

Dampness created by mold around air conditioning ducts can easily affect children. This can result in coughing, sneezing, red eyes, and a runny nose. Airborne mold spores can cause skin reactions, which come with the feeling of invisible bites. This is what is referred to as mold spores bites. If you are experiencing a mold spore bite, be sure to examine your humidifier, air conditioner, and other areas within the home for mold.

3. Mold spores in food

While you can only spot mold on the food surface, like white on cheese, green on bread, or small patches on fruits, its roots can bury deep into the food depending on its age. Mold spreads very quickly through food. It can cause allergic reactions. Additionally, some molds are very poisonous and can make you really sick if ingested. Black Mold Spores, for instance, can cause serious health complications such as skin problems, respiratory complications, eye problems, and immune system problems. It can also cause neurological issues. However, it is important to understand that not all black mold spores are toxic.

4. Mold on wall surfaces

Mold on wall surfaces is usually grayish in color and can produce a pungent smell. Mold can make a preexisting medical condition worse. Mold on walls can trigger allergic reactions like itchy eyes and skin rashes.

4. Mold near the plumbing area

Along with producing an odor and causing infection, mold near plumbing areas creates a conducive environment for other pests that could cause further infection. Mold causes allergens and toxins that can affect both children and adults.

Preventing mold spore bites

Mold requires warmth, moisture, and food to reproduce and grow. The human body offers the perfect environment, as body temperature is ideal, and the skin is rich in biodegradable and slightly porous materials that mold spores love to anchor onto. A skin that has excessive moisture provides the perfect environment for mold growth and reproduction.

If you are not properly and immediately drying your skin, or if the humidity levels are ideal and your skin remains moist for a long time, you will become extremely vulnerable to mold spore bites.

Taking care of moisture problems will greatly help prevent mold spore bites on your skin.

Be sure to keep your home’s humidity levels low and dry. After bathing, ensure that all warm areas, especially your armpits are thoroughly dried.

Make it a habit to wear loose fitting, breathable outfits that allow excess moisture to leave your body. If you spot strange or new marks on your skin, be sure to contact your doctor for examination right away. A skilled dermatologist should be able to diagnose if you have mold on your skin.

High yeast diets increase your chance of mold bites

Skin is the largest organ in your body. It is also the last place on your body that reveals signs of deeper problems. Most of your body’s wastes are excreted through the skin’s pores and sweat glands. Most often, consuming foods high in yeast concentrations results in overabundance of yeast in your system, which eventually results in yeast infection or an outbreak of mold bites on the skin.

Be sure to consume a healthy, balanced diet that does not contain high levels of yeast. If you notice mold growths on your skin, always seek professional help from a certified dermatologist. You may also seek the help of a dietician to assess and recommend the right diet plan for you.

Preexisting infection

If your body is already battling with a preexisting infection, compromised immune system, or other complication, your natural defense is compromised, and this makes you extremely vulnerable to mold bites.

Treating mold spore bites

Depending on the cause of mold spore bites, there are treatment options that you can consider. However, it is advisable that you start by treating a small area to be sure that you do not develop any adverse reactions to treatment. Here are some of the mold bite treatment options that you can consider.

1. Disinfect your clothing and bedding

Clothing can hold mold spores, reinfecting you even after treatment. Be sure to wash your clothing and bedding in hot water. Soak items that get into direct contact with infected areas like your socks for 15 minutes prior to washing.

2. External topical treatment

There are a number of different topical medications that can be applied to treat mold bites or fungal breakouts on the skin. Here are some of them:

  • Creams used to treat athlete’s foot
  • Medicated shampoos used for treating dandruff on the scalp
  • Vinegar
  • Coconut oil
  • Lavender oil
  • Tea tree oil
  • Yeast infection medication like Monistat
  • Selsun blue
  • Black walnut tincture
  • Geranium essential oil
  • Neem soap
  • Clay Poultice

Preventing mold spores bites

Following are simple steps that you can take to prevent a mold outbreak in your home:

  • Keeping indoor humidity levels as low as possible – below 50%. A dehumidifier or air conditioner should be able to help you manage your home’s humidity levels
  • Be sure to have good ventilation for your home or office
  • Fix any leaks in the walls or roof
  • Thoroughly clean and dry up your home as soon as you can in the event of flooding
  • Mix mold inhibitors with paint when painting your home
  • Clean bathrooms and wet areas with mold-killing products
  • Replace carpets and upholstery that have been soaked and will not dry promptly.

Mold spore bites: Final word

Mold is a type of fungi that grows in filaments and reproduces by forming spores that travel through the air. Mold can grow both indoors and outdoors in warm, damp, and humid environments. The most common types of indoor molds include Penicillium, Cladosporium, Aspergillus, and Alternaria. Black mold, scientifically known as Stachybotrys chartarum, is a greenish-black fungus that lives in both indoor and outdoor environments. It grows on household surfaces that have high concentrations of cellulose such as fiberboard, wood, paper, gypsum board, lint, and wood dust. Some types of mold also grow on food and carpets.

Mold is characterized by tiny spores that you cannot see with an unaided eye. The spores are quite hardy and can survive under harsh conditions in which mold cannot thrive. These spores are carried around by moving air. Mold spores grow when they get into contact with a moist and warm surface like the human skin. This is referred to as mold spore bites.

While outdoor mold plays an important role in the decomposition of organic matter and the general food web, the same cannot be said of most indoor mold. Indoor mold tends to pose a serious health risk, especially to people with weak immune systems like young children and elderly people. As such, proper measures need to be taken to keep the indoor environment free of mold spores as much as possible.